If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (912) 445-5190

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Protect Your Home This Holiday Season!

12/21/2021 (Permalink)


Keep House Fires Out of Your Winter Celebrations | SERVPRO® of Bryan, Effingham, McIntosh & East Liberty Counties

Though fire safety is an important focus at any time of year, as the chill of winter sets in, it is an even more pressing concern. The Red Cross has found that the winter season is when most fires occur in the home, which is understandable given that many winter and holiday activities provide an ideal environment for house fires to start.

At any time of the year, cooking is the leading cause of household fires, and winter is no exception with more people trying new recipes and baking projects. In addition to this, heating and electrical fires become more of a concern with the use of heaters and decorations, so it is important to be aware of the risks and ideal prevention methods.

Preventing Fires Around the Winter Holidays

Keep safe when cooking. Cooking large meals or undertaking new baking experiments is a popular winter pastime; the chances for any type of cooking fire will increase accordingly. When cooking, it is important to never leave flammable objects near the stove, oven, or slow cooker, and to never leave heating food unattended. It is also wise to keep a fire extinguisher on hand in case any flare-ups do occur, so they can be addressed quickly.

Heat the house with proper precautions. As the winter chill sets in, reaching for space heaters or putting a fire in the fireplace is common, and can be done safely. It is important to note that space heaters should always be equipped with proper safety features and that fireplaces should never be left unattended, as these are some of the leading causes of winter fires. If you do have a fireplace, be sure your chimney is inspected every year to address any potential hazards.

Decorate with care. Most of us can appreciate fun, holiday decorations, but issues can develop with these electrical components that can be hazardous. Christmas tree fires are often caused by the lights hung on the tree, mainly due to the fraying of the wires or the overloading of outlets. Always check your strands of lights before using them, and never leave them plugged in when you will not be home or when you are going to bed.

Need Our Help?

If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Call SERVPRO of Bryan, Effingham, McIntosh & East Liberty Counties today. (912) 445-5190.

Other News

View Recent Posts